Transcription of “I think I should have loved you presently” By Edna St. Vincent Millay [ Photo with Poem / Experiment21 ]

This poem is about regretting not being able to make a true confession to a loved one in the past. This interpretation is a very direct interpretation, and it seems to contain a meaning of resentment that the lover did not understand his feelings properly, although he seems to regret looking back on me in the past.

She was an American female poet and playwright. She started writing poetry when she was a teenager, and after graduating from college, she began publishing poetry collections, becoming a great commercial success.

He was a feminist who believed in free love and, as in this poem, tried to find true love. However, he died in 1950 after suffering from a car accident, without working for a long time as a result of the aftereffects.


“I think I should have loved you presently”

By Edna St. Vincent Millay


I think I should have loved you presently,

And given in earnest words I flung in jest;

And lifted honest eyes for you to see,

And caught your hand against my cheek and breast;

And all my pretty follies flung aside

That won you to me, and beneath your gaze,

Naked of reticence and shorn of pride,

Spread like a chart my little wicked ways.

I, that had been to you, had you remained,

But one more waking from a recurrent dream,

Cherish no less the certain stakes I gained,

And walk your memory’s halls, austere, supreme,

A ghost in marble of a girl you knew

Who would have loved you in a day or two.



Experiment21  B&W



Experiment21  Color


The reason why I posted this edited photo is that if I can't reverse my regrets about my past actions, I want to move forward more vigorously.


The car scanned in this photo can be seen as a symbol of such a journey and a bright future.


The following is the result of transcribing this poem.



I think I should have loved you presently By Edna St. Vincent Millay



I also filmed a video of me transcribing this article.




Original Color



Original B&W






0 Comments

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today
Have a nice day 😊