The uses of sorrow By Mary Jane Oliver / Experiment22 - Scan a bottle over a picture

 This poem talks about the sadness of the past. I think it could be a memory with a broken lover or a breakup with a loving family. Or I guess it could be an emotion felt in nature that changes over time.

I think this poem has a lot of heart vibes with short, concise, and implicit poetry.


The uses of sorrow  By Mary Oliver

​(In my sleep I dreamed this poem)

​Someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.

It took me years to understand
that this, too, was a gift.


Mary Jane Oliver is an American great poet and novelist who won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award. She was born in 1935 in Maple Heights, Ohio, and died in 2019. She spent most of her time outdoors as a child, walking and reading, and began writing poetry at the age of 14.

I've found a poem that would go well with this poem. Take a look.

b&w scan

Color scan


The reason why I chose this picture is because of the expression a box full of darkness. I didn't think that the box that comes out here is necessarily a rectangular box, but a round circle.

As you can see in the following original, the picture was taken so that the apricot flowers were placed among the green leaves. This is the result of photographing with a distinction from other apricot pictures.

Original b&w

Original Color

This photo was taken on March 16, 2024.

Fujifilm    X-T4    F9    1/4000s    ISO1250    600mm    Spot

XF150-600mm F5.6~8 R LM OIS WR


The author writes that she wrote this poem in her dream. I chose this picture to show images that appear faint in her dream. It doesn't feel like it's a perfect match, but I tried my best. 🧐😅

Now, I'm going to show you a picture of me transcribing this poem with a gel pen. This pen is a black gel pen called Zebra's Sarasa Clip.



Thank you for reading my article. 🙏


4 Comments

  1. Thanks to your photos, I naturally feel warmth and gratitude every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sad, pale and beautiful pictures.
    pictures remind me of mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today
Have a nice day 😊