Transcribing Rain BY EDWARD THOMAS [ Photo with Poem / Experiment02 ]

This is a poet I introduced on my blog a while ago. Let me share the blog first.

https://idea0404.blogspot.com/2024/05/transcription-of-go-now-by-edward.html


The poem is said to have been written in a rainy trench when he participated in World War I as a soldier.

The very next year after writing this poem, this poet was killed in war.

I feel like it's a poem depicting himself against fear and fear that he don't know when his life will end.

I think it's a poem that expresses the frustration and fear of being trapped in a dark and long tunnel very delicately.



Rain   BY EDWARD THOMAS


Rain, midnight rain, nothing but the wild rain

On this bleak hut, and solitude, and me

Remembering again that I shall die

And neither hear the rain nor give it thanks

For washing me cleaner than I have been

Since I was born into this solitude.

Blessed are the dead that the rain rains upon:

But here I pray that none whom once I loved

Is dying tonight or lying still awake

Solitary, listening to the rain,

Either in pain or thus in sympathy

Helpless among the living and the dead,

Like a cold water among broken reeds,

Myriads of broken reeds all still and stiff,

Like me who have no love which this wild rain

Has not dissolved except the love of death,

If love it be towards what is perfect and

Cannot, the tempest tells me, disappoint.


Experiment02 B&W



The atmosphere of this poem is very heavy and has gone away, so I chose the picture above. 

The original picture also seems to express a very depressing situation.


Original B&W



I used Waterman's Hemisphere fountain pen as I transcribed the poem above.


Rain BY EDWARD THOMAS


🔽

https://youtube.com/shorts/paS0O6NA8IM




0 Comments

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today
Have a nice day 😊